Spicy Lentil Basmati Rice
Prep: 5 min
Cook: 25 - 30min
Serves: 4 - 6 People
Heat intensity: Mild
Difficulty: Bit Tricky
- 1 cup Lentils
- 2 cup Basmati rice
- 2 tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 2 Cinnamon Sticks
- 2 Whole Cloves
- 1 tsp Cumin Seeds
- 2 tbsp Ginger and Garlic Paste
- 4 Cups of Water
- 1 tbsp Salt
- 1 tsp Sugar
- ¼ tsp Paprika
- ¼ tsp Turmeric
- ¼ Coriander, chopped (bunch/handful)
- 2 tbsp Lime Juice
- Rinse the lentils and rice separately and place separately in a small bowl.
- Heat the oil in a large, heavy sauce pan over a medium-high heat.
- Add the cinnamon, cloves and cumin and allow to sauté for 2mins.
- Add ginger and garlic paste and sauté for 30 more seconds.
- Add the water, salt, sugar, paprika and turmeric and bring to a boil.
- Reduce the heat and add the lentils and cook for 8 min.
- Thereafter increase the heat to high and add the rice and boil for 5 minutes.
- Reduce the heat and place the lid on the pot, allowing to simmer until the lentils and rice are tender and the liquid has absorbed.
- Simmer for 8 more minutes and remove from the heat and let it stand for 5 minutes.
- Remove the cinnamon sticks and cloves and mix in the coriander and lime juice.